I am going to be making my corned beef and cabbage tomorrow. For years I battled my stockpot and water boiling over. Then I decided to make it in my crock pot instead. Once I did that, I have never gone back. It is so easy ~ and has come out great for me every time. I am sharing my recipe here. I use a 5-qt crock pot. But if I use more cabbage or veggies, I use the larger crock pot. If you have a huge crock pot you can either throw in extra veggies and potatoes, or put some foil across midway up….
Corned Beef and Cabbage in the Crock Pot (cook for 8-9 hours on low).
A. Final Ingredient Step (I know, I started at the end)
- 1 corned beef brisket (oh the usual size about 2 3/4 – 3lbs more or less). I often cut it in half to get it to fit nice.
- 1 head of cabbage, washed and chopped into wedges.
B. Bunchy stuff
- red potatoes ~ either new potatoes, or bigger reds quartered (scrubbed but unpeeled)
- 2 onions cut up in wedges (use less if you don’t like them)
- baby carrots or cut up carrots (1 pound or lots more if you like them!)
- A couple of parsnips if you love them ~ or skip them
C. Pour-y Stuff: Combine:
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 T sugar
- 2T apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- spice packet that came with the brisket
- 3 cups water
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- Put everything from part B (the Bunchy stuff) in the bottom of the crock pot. Then combine all the ingredients from step C (the pour-y stuff). Pour all of it over the bunch-y stuff in the crock pot. Then put the brisket on top of that and the cabbage on top of everything. Put the cover on. Cook that delicious stuff on low for 8-9 hours depending on your crock pot cooking speed. Be sure to remove the bay leaf before you serve it. Should be plenty for 6 – 8 people, or 3 teenage boys. It smells SO good while it’s cooking.; enjoy!!